Can You Eat Candle Wax? Everything You Need to Know

This is a guide covering candle wax and whether it is edible.

In this article, we’ll be covering:

Accidents and mistakes happen. Sometimes these accidents and mistakes may mean eating candle wax.

Maybe you were trying to remove some candle wax with your finger and then accidentally licked your finger. Or it was just a result of a dare when you and your company were drunk.

Whatever the reason may be, the question remains: can you eat candle wax? Is it poisonous? What sort of intervention will you need, if any?

This article addresses all these questions and more!

Let’s dive in.

eat candle wax

What Happens if You Eat Candle Wax?

When you eat candle wax, you are essentially swallowing either a plant based wax or paraffin wax, along with essential oils or chemicals that add fragrance to the candle.

There may also be artificial colourings in the candle wax.

If someone ingests candle wax in a small quantity, there is generally no need to panic.

Simply give them a glass of water or any other fluid to drink.

When the person eats candle wax, it is likely that they may face a minor upset stomach or a loose stool.

This usually goes away on its own and no major intervention is needed.

soy candles last longer

Can Candle Wax Kill You?

If you or a loved one swallows some candle wax, this is the question that occurs to most.

If the person has ingested a small quantity of candle wax, the answer to the question above is no!

The small amount of wax will pass through anyone’s system, even a child’s.

On the other hand, if large quantities of candle wax is ingested, this may cause a problem.

Ingesting a large piece of candle wax may result in it obstructing your airways, making it difficult for you to breath. This large piece of candle may also cause intestinal obstruction.

In both these cases, the candle wax may kill you if immediate action is not taken! How you can take action is addressed below in the article.

Is Birthday Candle Wax Poisonous?

One common instance of ingesting candle wax is when eating a cake.

Your family and friends get you your favourite cake and just as you’ve taken a massive bite of it, you realise something is wrong.

To your dismay, you’ve actually ingested some birthday candle wax.

The first question you’ll have will obviously be, is it poisonous?

While edible birthday candles are sold, you can never be sure if the one you ingested was edible.

Nevertheless, in most cases you need to specifically ask for edible candles. And if you hadn’t done so, you must have ingested a candle that wasn’t edible.

So, what to do?

Birthday candles are no different than the usual candles. So, the intervention will be the same and will depend on the size of candle ingested.

If it was a small piece, there’s nothing to worry about. On the contrary, if it was a larger piece, you will need medical intervention.

edible birthday candle

Can You Eat Soy Wax?

Are all types of candle wax poisonous? Or are some wax types, such as soy wax, edible?

In short, soy wax is edible. As long as there are no artificial additives such as fragrances or colours, you can eat soy wax. Although, it is not recommended!

After all, candles are best meant for their aromatic qualities (and not a meal).

xyz

How is soy wax safe to eat?

Remember, soy wax is made from soybeans! And soybeans are edible vegetables.

The main process that converts soybeans into soy wax is hydrogenation. Even after this process soybeans, which are now soy wax, are still edible.

handing candle

What To Do If You Have Eaten Candle Wax?

The first thing you should do is immediately call for emergency assistance- could be the poison control department or the hospital!

If you don’t know how to reach the poison control department specifically, simply call an ambulance and take the individual to the hospital emergency right away.

What can you do before driving to the ER or while waiting for the ambulance?

Here are some tips.

  • When you call for emergency assistance, make sure to inform them about the compound taken. Whether it was a birthday candle or a daily use candle (the long, white, stick shaped). Also inform them regarding the individual’s age, weight and general health status. This must include details regarding any allergies the person may have! Another crucial thing to inform the emergency assistance is the amount of the candle wax taken.
  • Ensure that the person is breathing and their airways have not been compromised.
  • If there are any pieces of candle on or in the person’s mouth, make sure to remove them! Gargle with some water and then use a cloth to wipe your face clean.
  • Make sure to take a piece of the candle, which was ingested. This will help the medical professionals assess any harmful or poisonous substances that the candle may contain and then the treatment can be planned accordingly.
candle wick

Does the Type of Candle Wax Affect How You Feel if You Eat It?

Yes!!

Plant based candle waxes, such as soy wax are safe to ingest.

As long as there are no artificial additives added to it.

Paraffin wax, on the other hand, is not safe to eat under any circumstances!

Since paraffin wax is not safe to ingest at all, you may feel sick after eating it. This should not be the case if you eat pure soy wax.

Regardless of the candle wax, it is not recommended that you eat candle wax.

Nevertheless, if it happens accidentally, candle poisoning can be treated easily!

Final Remarks

We hope this article was informative for you!

If you have any further questions about ingesting candle wax, feel free to reach out to us!

xyz

Leave a Comment